Friday, May 29, 2015

Creating Kid's Couture

In 2014, I received the best gift ever in the form of a beautiful granddaughter, Laura, my very first grandbaby.  I just finished sewing this adorable outfit.  I love the squirrel print on the bodice paired up with the tree print on the pants.  I serged all of the ruffles and used my Ruffler foot to construct evenly gathered ruffles.  I piped the bodice in orange piping.  I also made bloomers which can be worn on hot summer days for a more summery option.  And every little girl needs a matching headband to accessorize!
This pattern comes from the website www.createkidscouture.com
I found the PDF patterns easy to work with and the directions were very detailed with lots of pictures.  They have many patterns to choose from for meticulously dressed children!  Most of the patterns are geared for an intermediate level seamstress.
I hadn't sewn for children since my own kids were little so I started by sewing "muslins" to make sure I got the fit right.  It's important to know exactly what length the pants need to be since it would be difficult to alter the three tiered ruffles.  Now that I've got the fit figured out, it will be easy to simply alter this pattern as Laura grows.  I see lots of fun in my future as I sew more fun outfits for my favorite muse!
#BERNINAusa       #Sulky

No comments: